Convent of the Sacred Heart is New York City's oldest independent school for girls, educating students in Pre-K through 12. As part of an international network of schools, we are committed to a set of principles shared by all Sacred Heart Schools. Known as the "Goals and Criteria,” these principles articulate the core components of a Sacred Heart education, and charge our community with a unified educational mission.
At the heart of our philosophy is the belief that each child possesses unique gifts. Our job is to unearth those gifts, nurture them, and empower each child of the Sacred Heart to share those gifts with the global community. Convent of the Sacred Heart is committed to being an equitable and inclusive community and seeks candidates who connect to our Mission and Goals.
Upper School History Teacher (Leave Replacement)
The Upper School is recruiting for a history teacher, starting late August, 2019 for a year-long leave replacement. History teachers at Sacred Heart aim to broaden understanding, stimulate thoughtful inquiry, and encourage insights into the experiences of all people. Our program provides a rigorous program with high support, using classroom time for discussion of original documents and historiography. We are committed to a global approach at every level, believing that to prepare students for a 21st century world, there needs to be an appreciation of societies across place and time.
- The teacher will report to the History & Social Sciences Department Head and the Head of the Upper School, and join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty. Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Teach 3 sections of Ninth Grade World History and 1 senior elective.
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, consulting with them about their writing, and the like), as needed;
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum development, project-based learning, and assessment;
- Attend department and faculty meetings;
- Active participation in the life of the school community, which includes assuming at least one additional out-of the classroom duty, such as advising a student club, joining a standing committee, or coaching.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Successful candidates will hold at least a Master’s degree in history or a related field and will have a passion for history and for interacting with high school aged students, in and outside of the classroom.
- At least three years of prior history or social studies teaching experience at the secondary level is expected.
- Interest in and experience with interdisciplinary study and/or teaching will be considered an asset.
- The candidate should be proficient with current educational technology, especially blended learning platforms and strategies.
An equal opportunity employer, Sacred Heart seeks to hire outstanding and diverse faculty and staff who work together harmoniously toward the common mission of the school.