Upper School Spanish Teacher
|Title:||Upper School Spanish Teacher|
Convent of the Sacred Heart is New York City's oldest independent school for girls, educating students in Pre-K through 12. As part of an international network, we are committed to a set of principles shared by all Sacred Heart Schools. Known as the "Goals and Criteria", these principles articulate the core components of a Sacred Heart education, and charge our community with a unified educational mission.
At the heart of our philosophy is the belief that each child possesses unique gifts. Our job is to unearth those gifts, nurture them, and empower each child of the Sacred Heart to share those gifts with the global community.
The Upper School is recruiting a full time Spanish teacher for the 2017-18 academic year. Language teachers at Sacred Heart are passionate educators who inspire students to reach their full potential. Our curriculum encompasses language proficiency, as well as cultural awareness, stressing the importance of precision to achieve fluency, and ultimately to become active, multilingual citizens of the 21st century.
The teacher will report to the Upper School World Languages Department Head and the Head of the Upper School, and join a highly collaborative, innovative, and experienced faculty. Specific responsibilities for this position include the following:
- Teach 4 to 5 classes from Spanish I to AP language, standard and honors alike
- Provide academic support for students outside of class time (answering homework questions, consulting with them about their writing, etc.) as needed
- Collaborate and participate actively in the work of the Department on innovative curriculum development and assessment
- Attend parent, faculty, department meetings
- Advise 8 to 10 Upper School students
- Participate actively in the life of the school community, which includes assuming at least one additional out-of the classroom duty, such as advising a student club, joining a standing committee, or coaching
Requirements and Qualifications
The ideal candidate:
- Will be proficient or a near native Spanish speaker
- Will hold at least a Master’s degree in Spanish teaching or Spanish studies
- Will have at least five years of prior Spanish teaching experience at the secondary level; preference will be given to candidates with AP teaching experience
- Should be proficient with current educational technology
- Should be a strong writer in the English language
An equal opportunity employer, Sacred Heart seeks to hire outstanding and diverse faculty who work together harmoniously toward the common mission of the school.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications